Why restrict your enjoyment of salads to summer? This wintery vegetarian entrée has all your favorite salad feels—it’s bright, crunchy, and refreshing—plus the comforting coziness of roasted root vegetables. Win-win. :)
- 1/2 pound carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch sticks
- 1/2 pound parsnips, cut into 1 1/2-inch sticks
- 1/2 pound small potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 6 cups loosely packed arugula (about 3 ounces)
- 1/3 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar, or more to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
Preheat an oven to 375°F.
In a large bowl, combine the carrots, parsnips, potatoes, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Transfer to a large, rimmed baking sheet and roast until tender, about 20 minutes.
Set aside to cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl, toss the roasted vegetables, arugula, walnuts, vinegar, and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add more salt, pepper, or vinegar to taste.
Arrange the salad on plates, top with the blue cheese, and serve.