A thick blue cheese sauce is laced with coarsely chopped basil, for big bursts of herby flavor and blue cheesy goodness in every bite.
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/4 pounds ground lamb
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 hamburger buns, ideally Kaiser or onion rolls, split
- 4 butter lettuce leaves
- 4 thin slices red onion
In a small bowl, combine the cheese, basil, mayonnaise, and mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
In a large bowl, gently combine the lamb, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika. Form the mixture into 4 patties (3 1/2 inches in diameter).
Prepare a grill to medium-high and lightly oil the grate. Grill the patties until desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium. Grill the onion wedges until softened and lightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes per side. During the last minute of cooking, place the buns cut side down on the grill to lightly toast them.
Arrange the lettuce and onion on the bun bottoms. Top with the patties, cheese mixture, bun tops, and serve.