Adapted from the Chardonnay chapter of “100 Perfect Pairings: Small Plates to Enjoy with Wines You Love” by Jill Silverman Hough (Wiley, 2010)
This is absolutely heaven on a plate—a delectable combination of veggies, crunchy greens, creamy dressing, and a pile of sweet, succulent crab. The creaminess of the dressing makes it a natural for Chardonnay, and the touch of chili sauce in it helps bring out the fruit in the wine. If you like, substitute shrimp for the crab. Or do an indulgent combination of both.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili sauce, such as Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 heads butter lettuce, trimmed and separated into leaves or torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 pound cooked lump Dungeness crab meat
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and quartered
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 2/3 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced on a diagonal
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, chili sauce, horseradish, salt, and Worcestershire. Set aside.
Arrange the lettuce on plates. Sprinkle with the carrot, then arrange the crab, eggs, avocado, and tomatoes on top, dividing them evenly. Spoon the mayonnaise mixture in the center, dividing it evenly. Sprinkle with the scallions and serve.