Whip up this smoky, sweet, and slightly spicy rub in about five minutes, then use it on beef, pork, chicken, fish, vegetables, whatever. (But because it contains sugar, which burns easily, don’t use it when cooking over direct, high heat for more than 2 or 3 minutes.) I especially adore it on grilled salmon.
Makes a generous 3/4 cup
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons coarse kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons granulated garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons granulated onion powder
- 4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients. Store in an airtight container for up to several months.